See the plans for New Spire Stages at 15 W Patrick Street, the newest addition to Downtown Frederick's Theatre District! With a flexible black box theatre and community gathering space, we are excited to see New Spire Stages come to life over the next several months. Use the arrows below to navigate through the renderings or to pause the slideshow.
The first floor of our education building, New Spire Spaces at 115 E Church Street, is now open! While the rest of this 45,000 square foot building (including the gymnasium on the third floor) won't be renovated until after New Spire Stages is completed, we are activating the first floor with performing arts education classes and workshops for all ages and abilities. The first floor is also available for rent, about which you can find more information here.
See the before and after pictures from our first floor renovation! Use the arrows below to navigate or pause the slideshow.
New Spire Arts continues the mission of 15 Square Arts Project, a community based initiative to revitalize the former McCrory’s five and dime into a next generation performing arts venue. In addition to the 15sq building, New Spire Arts has expanded its vision to include a multi-use arts facility in the former McGill School at 115 East Church Street.
15 North Market Street opened for business in 1892 as Renner & Kemp, a dry goods store, until 1910 when it became part of the J.G. McCrory & Company chain, expanding in 1929 and connecting to the 15 West Patrick Street location, at which time the store added its popular luncheonette counter. As downtowns all over the country succumbed to malls and big box mania, McCrory’s closed the Frederick store in 1990, and in 1992, McCrory’s filed for bankruptcy. The 15 N Market/15 W Patrick Street property was acquired by the Frederick Arts Council in 1998, and for the next 14 years, the Cultural Arts Center served the arts community with gallery space, a black box theater, event and rehearsal space and offices.
The building at 115 East Church Street was originally built as the Female High School, the first girls' school in Frederick, operational from 1889 to 1922. The building was torn down in 1900 as it was unsanitary and unstable. It was rebuilt that year and reopened in 1901 - this time with indoor toilets. In 1914, the top floor was converted from an attic to an auditorium. The building acted as the administrative headquarters for Frederick County Public Schools from 1940 until 2010, when the FCPS built a new, expanded facility further south on East Street. Renovations are underway to modernize the building, in advance of its reopening as a Performing Arts Education and Creation space.